As your public school Trustee I will advocate for you. “Kids First” is my promise. I can commit to you that for every decision, I will first ask the question, “What is best for the kids?” As I evaluate & initiate policies and contribute to the Board, I will represent children’s interests above all. My focus is on expanding our ability to provide all children with an optimal start, so they can achieve their full potential.
I am pleased to be running here on Treaty 6 Territory. I am committed to work to fulfill the Calls to Action of the 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission within the Edmonton School Division (Edmonton Public School Board).
I am uniquely qualified to provide strategic leadership, and to advance public education.
Extensive experience as an education advocate within Edmonton Public Schools and Alberta, leading and representing parents for 8+ years, including 5 years as Chair of the parent society at Garneau School (CSCPS), and 2 time delegate at the Alberta School Councils’ Association Conference.
Strong business acumen including strategy, research and analysis (MBA, 10 years management experience in international companies).
- Experienced educator through my business Nancy’s Notes Music.
- Personal experience advocating for my three kids, currently in elementary, junior high, and high school.
I have a proven track record of success – leading change and overcoming obstacles. Click here for more about my experience and accomplishments.
EQUITY in education is my primary reason for running for Trustee. Equity is many things. At the highest level, equity in education means that ALL students have fair, accessible, and free access to high quality public education.
Over the past few months, I have talked with thousands of families and it is alarming how many students we are not serving well today. The burden on parents and caregivers can be huge to advocate for needed testing, support or programming, and the burden on teachers can be huge when we don’t have the resources to properly serve all students.
Our funding is severely lacking and we do not have the measurements in place to be able to understand the magnitude of the shortfall. Operationally, there are several elements:
- Available programming to suit all students including those with physical, sensory, neuro and cognitive differences.
- Support services to support each child to achieve their potential.
- Accommodation services to enable students to learn in their optimal way.
- Fair and adequate funding to deliver the above programming.
- Regular review and measures of how well we are serving different segments of students.
To truly deliver our Division’s goal of “success for all students” we need to look carefully at all groups, not just averages, so we can understand and improve how we serve all students equitably.
– Nancy Hunt for Edmonton Public School Board Trustee -Ward F
Click to share:
Nancy had GREAT answers to these questions asked by EPSB.